Columns Hall of the House of Unions

The building of the House of Unions was built in 1780 for Prince Vasily Dolgoruky-Krymsky. It was acquired in 1784 by the Assembly of the Nobility and was remodeled for the Assembly’s use by the architect Mikhail Kazakov. The Columned Hall, decorated on its perimeter with 28 Corinthian columns, is located on the second floor, together with other ceremonial premises. It was first used for balls and gala receptions. During the first half of the 19th century, it was visited by Alexander Pushkin and Yevgeny Baratynsky. From the 1840s onward, it increasingly became a venue for concerts, and from 1860, following the establishment of the Moscow branch of the Imperial Russian Musical Society, it annually played host to cycles of symphonic concerts, conducted by such outstanding figures as Pyotr Tchaikovsky, Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov, Nikolai Rubinstein, Antonin Dvorak and Artur Nikisch. Among those who performed in the Columned Hall were Sergei Rachmaninov, Fritz Kreisler, Pablo Casals, Jacques Thibaut, Fyodor Chaliapin and Antonina Nezhdanova. Read more...

Bolshoi Theatre

The laying of the corner stone of the Bolshoi Theater’s New Stage took place at a gala ceremony on September 28, 1995. But due to various circumstances, construction of the new building took a lengthy period of time to complete. Only on November 22, 2002, did a state commission finally sign the act of acceptance, the rather commonplace language of that official document recording an event of enormous importance. During its construction, the New Stage survived a violent wind storm, financial default and a change in the leadership of both the Bolshoi and the country. There was never any doubt, however, as to the need for the new theater or for seeking to equip it with the most up-to-date technology.

The total floor-space of the building is 25,000 square meters. Its auditorium seats 960.

The horseshoe shape of the auditorium and its balcony structure and the carefully determined quantity of air per spectator ensure an evenness of sound and optimum degree of reverberation. The New Stage is equipped with a naturally adaptable acoustical system, the parameters of which should with time come to approximate the acoustical conditions of the Bolshoi’s main theater. The ceiling of the auditorium acts as sounding board.

The design of the auditorium utilizes themes from the works of Lev Bakst and Alexander Golovin. Their aspiration to create a synthesis of the arts in the theater is a starting-point for artists of today. A fanciful round dance in the composition on the ceiling interweaves personages from the ballets of Diaghilev’s Saisons Russes, as portrayed by Bakst. In the center of the dance is a faun of antiquity that seems to be longing for the muses painted on the ceiling of the old Bolshoi. Read more...

Tchaikovsky Concert Hall

Tchaikovsky Concert Hall

History of teh hall:

Quantity of seats: 1505

Tchaikovsky Concert Hall of the Moscow Philharmonic Society on Triumfalnaya (formerly Mayakovskaya) Ploshchad is undoubtedly one of the most bizarre structures built in Moscow during the 20th century. The hall was completed one year before the Nazi invasion of the Soviet Union.

The story of this festival hall goes back to the early 20th century, when French producer Charles Omon opened a theater here called the Bouffe Miniature. Next the popular Zon Theater came. In 1922 the theater acquired its greatest fame as the Teatr imeni Meierkholda, or the Meierhold Theater (the Theatre was situated in the old building).

The new building was planned by director-reformer Meierhold as the biggest and modern theatre in Moscow. In 1938, construction of the new building was mainly finished. In 1939, Meierhold was arrested and thereafter executed by shooting. The incomplete building was passed to the Moscow Philharmonic Society. In 1938, it was opened a subway station “Mayakovskaya” at the corner part of the building. In 1940, it was finished interior of the new Concert Hall. Many things remained from original project of an architect Tcherin. Original ellipsoid form of the Hall gave excellent visibility and audibility at any point.

In the heart of the stage was placed the Walcher organ imported from the Cathedral of St. Peter and Paul (Leningrag). Afterwards (in 1959), it was installed the electrical organ of the Czechoslovak firm “Rieger-Kloss” twice reconstructed later (1970, 1977).

Opening of the new concert hall of the Moscow Philharmonic Society named after P.I.Tchaikovsky was timed to centenary from the composer’s birth. On October 12, 1940, it was performed P.I.Tchaikovsky’s Sixth Symphony, “Francesca da Rimini”, the first part of the First Piano Concerto, airs from different operas and romances by the State Symphony Orchestra of the USSR under conducting of A.Gauk and K.Ivanov; L.Oborin, P.Nortsov, E.Kruglikova, V.Davydova and M.Reisen appeared on the stage as soloists.

During of sixty years of being there were first-rate musical events at the Hall. There were All-Union and All-Russian shows of academic and national ensembles, and symphony orchestras. There were ten-day periods, days of culture and arts of the USSR’s republics and foreign countries. Since 1962, the Hall became one of main stages of the International Competition named after P.Tchaikovsky. The Hall was by arena of All-Union competitions of choreographers, ballet artists, international chess tournaments and by filming area.

Nowadays, there are performances of leading soloists, symphony orchestras, choruses and choreographic ensembles at the Tchaikovsky Concert Hall. There are opera productions as concert performances and musical dramatic plays. Festivals and competitions “Russian Winter”, “Moscow Stars”, “Moscow Autumn”, “Talents of Russia”, “Pushkin Festival”, “Days of Poetry” and others take place at the Hall as well.

At this place the Moscow Philharmonic Society gives approximately three hundred of concerts per year.

© International Rostropovich Festival “Mstislav Rostropovich Week”, 2010 — 2017